PDA

View Full Version : Capabilities list help

Anubis.:xxx:.
April 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
This is rather long request and I hope you will take the time to help me out.

I'm in the midst of finding the right backup system for my companies backups. We are a small shared web hosting company that's growing, so we need a decent backup system that has the ability to scale.

Currently we use the cpanel backup for our centos machines and plesk setup for windows. Both of which are good for smaller scale but it won't last us too long. Also, having both of those in the same backup system would be great.

Here are the options I'm looking for. I'm not looking for ALL of them, just the one with the ones that are most importance to us. So, if one is missing a few options doesn't mean it's a complete deal breaker.

You don't have to go into a lot of details if not necessary, Just a "yes" and "no" next to each one would suffice.

Thank you so much.

Priority - how much cpu usage
Independent directories - backs up database and host files separate
type - full / incremental
cross platform - Win/Linux backed up on same backup server
compression
schedule
ease of use
file level restore - ability to restore a single file if necessary
virus scan
checksum / verify files - after the backup is completed
devices - ie. disk, nfs, tape, etc.
user level access - different users with different levels of access on backup manager
email notification - started and completed backup
logs
ftp - ability to FTP backups to remote machine
encryption
password protection
web interface
cost
installation / Config / Mmgmt - adding new machines to backup cluster, etc.
status - check status of backups (%'s etc. )
span multiple devices - can specify disks, etc. to backup if space runs out
rotation - ability to rotate backups (we don't need to keep every backup)
serve files in realtime - if server restore is required, would be great if we can serve the site files from backup (nfs/symlink) while restores in background
exclusion - ability to not backup certain files (ie. iso, mp3, mpeg, etc.)

Anubis.:xxx:.
April 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
I know it's a long list, but I'm sure there's a few that know about the options I asked about.

Please let me know what you know at least so I can figure this out.

Thank you.

paddy
June 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Amanda Enterprise supports everything except Virus Scan. I'm not sure what you mean by "Priority".

Amanda community supports everything except Virus scan, user level access, password protection, web interface, management

Paddy