PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Enterprise - When Screen

tknutson
March 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I am setting up a Tape backup and am on the when page. When setting up the entries on this page, there is a section called "Volumes Per Run:*" that is not referenced in the documentation anywhere.

We have 7 tapes to use for backup in the tape changer, and expect the full 7 tapes to be used for 1 backup run. These tapes will be marked as do not reuse, and then replaced at the end of the run. Unsure as to what to put for "Volumes Per Run:*" and "Volumes In Rotation:*" can anyone advise on this?

paddy
March 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I am setting up a Tape backup and am on the when page. When setting up the entries on this page, there is a section called "Volumes Per Run:*" that is not referenced in the documentation anywhere.

We have 7 tapes to use for backup in the tape changer, and expect the full 7 tapes to be used for 1 backup run. These tapes will be marked as do not reuse, and then replaced at the end of the run. Unsure as to what to put for "Volumes Per Run:*" and "Volumes In Rotation:*" can anyone advise on this?

"Volumes per run" is the number of tapes that will be used in a backup run. This is equivalent of "runtapes" in amanda.conf

"Volumes in Rotation" is the number of tapes in the backup cycle. This is equivalent of "tapecycle" in amanda.conf

In your case, "Volumes per run" will be 7. I'm assuming that you will take out 7 tapes after each backup run and put 7 new tapes in the changer. Are you trying to do only full backups in each backup run? If yes, you can set "Backup cycle" to 1 and "Volumes in rotation" in 8.

Paddy

tknutson
March 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Yes, we are trying to do only full backups for each run, and it is a "weekly" backup schedule. We would prefer to have them all done on one day, and it is currently set to only backup on Sunday with "Backup cycle" set to 0.

From what you said in your post, I am assuming that it would be better for us to set it to backup on Sunday and set the "Backup cycle" to 1. We will essentialy have 2 "Volumes in rotation" (2 sets of 7 tapes that get rotated each week) so instead of 8 I would set "Volumes in rotation" to 2?

paddy
March 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, we are trying to do only full backups for each run, and it is a "weekly" backup schedule. We would prefer to have them all done on one day, and it is currently set to only backup on Sunday with "Backup cycle" set to 0.

From what you said in your post, I am assuming that it would be better for us to set it to backup on Sunday and set the "Backup cycle" to 1. We will essentialy have 2 "Volumes in rotation" (2 sets of 7 tapes that get rotated each week) so instead of 8 I would set "Volumes in rotation" to 2?

"Backup cycle" of 0 makes sense in your case. Your "Volumes in rotation" at the minimum should be (2 sets of 7 tapes + 1) 15.
See "tapecycle" in http://wiki.zmanda.com/man/amanda.conf.5.html or man amanda.conf

Paddy