PDA

View Full Version : windows client - why so few supported versions?

Jon
January 31st, 2009, 08:55 PM
I used to use Amanda many years ago when I worked as a sysadmin for a local college, and recently have been looking for a better backup system for my home LAN, and stumbled across Amanda again. I was very happy to learn that there was a windows client until I discovered that it only supports a few versions of windows! Most of my machines are Windows 2000 Pro and the windows client does not install on that OS.

I am currently using Samba (smbtar) to back up my windows machines, but I have found this method to be extremely unreliable. Sometimes it works fine, other times the backup will consist partially or entirely of a bunch of empty single letter directories. It is because of this unreliability that I have been searching for an alternate solution.

I am excited about being able to use Amanda, but I *REALLY* do not want to have to backup via windows shares to do so! Why is there no client for win2k (or NT/95/98/XP Home, etc?) Is there perhaps a user contributed client that could be used? I don't really even care about not being able to backup open files so much, I just want to be able to get a reliable backup of my windows machines, which in my experience means not using Samba/shares...

I have a feeling I am either stuck using Samba or updating all of my machines to XP Pro SP2. The expense and hassle aside, I'm not even sure that I can run XP on some of the systems I have here, due to the greater hardware requirements of XP. :(

What about doing something like running a bare bones linux install with amanda client on the windows box via VMware, mounting the vfat/ntfs partitions of the windows box in the VMware'd linux machine and using the linux amanda client to back up the mounted windows partitions? That'd still be a hassle, but perhaps less so than a bunch of XP Pro SP2 installs...

Any advice or tips anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Jon
February 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
What about doing something like running a bare bones linux install with amanda client on the windows box via VMware, mounting the vfat/ntfs partitions of the windows box in the VMware'd linux machine and using the linux amanda client to back up the mounted windows partitions? That'd still be a hassle, but perhaps less so than a bunch of XP Pro SP2 installs...

I've never used vmware before, so I was just assuming that the virtual instance could "see" the underlying hardware, but from the research I have done in the meantime, it looks like the virtual machine is truly separate and acts like a different computer, with no ties to the host. So unfortunatley my assumption above won't work.

I am currently looking into the possibility of running an NFS server on the windows boxes; the linux backup server would also run an amanda client and the NFS shares would automount during the backup. This is basically the same thing that has to be done for windows machines currently, except using NFS instead of samba, but hopefully the NFS would be more reliable.

It is still not as nice as the ability to run a native amanda client on the windows box though! :(

Is there some documentation somewhere regarding the client/server communication between Amanda and the Amanda clients? (Yeah, I know - read the source, right?) ;) Is there a special protocol which is used? If so, couldn't anyone create an Amanda client which would run on windows and simply feed the data over to the Amanda server? Even if it used Windows' archive bit to determine which files to archive during an incremental run, that would be a start at least. Would there be any interest in such a client? If so, and if the cost is not too high, I could perhaps look into having one created, maybe offer it as "donation-ware" to help offset the development cost.

ddt999
February 8th, 2010, 08:31 PM
You can refer to this article:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To%3ARun_Amanda_Server_on_Cygwin#id333541

and compile your own Amanda client. Or you can try to download the Amanda Backup Client 2.5.2p1 for Windows from:

http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php

The 2.5.2p1 should be the latest version that would still support Windows 2000. I have to compile my own because I have Cygwin natively installed, and the pre-compiled version will mess with that setup.

I have been using the self-compiled Amanda client for my Windows 2000 backup to a 2.6.1p2 server on Linux, and so far it has been working OK, with ~1.5MB/s on the dumper stats. Tired compiling 2.6.x version on Windows 2000 but could not get it to run successfully.