PDA

View Full Version : How to make amdump keep file in tape after remove the file from DLE ..

paxvor
January 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hi all. Hope I can have some understanding.

1. I used amanda 2.6.0. One time I deleted a file from my DLE. And It seems the amdump also remove it from the tape.
Is there any way for amdump to keep the file in tape, after I removed it from my DLE?

2. I find that everytime amdump finds DLE is larger than tape capacity, it will automatically erase the tape. How do I make it not to automatically erase the tape ? I believe I'm missing just simple thing here.

thnks

- paxvor -

dustin
January 22nd, 2009, 06:23 AM
I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding how Amanda works. Every run, amdump picks one or more tapes to which it will write the run's dumps. If those tapes already contain data, then that data will be erased when the new dumps are written to them.

I think what you want in #1 is to have an archival copy of files. If you want to do that, you need to either have a tapecycle as long as your desired archival time period, or if that period is infinite, mark the tapes as no-reuse.

paxvor
January 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
thnks for reply Dustin.
True i'm still trying to understand how it works and I really hope I find some insight.
If each amdump overwrite the data it found in tape, what is my best backup strategy if i only have 2 tape with changer. I was hoping that I can archive the files but still doing backup without erasing the tape :)

any suggestion is welcome

- paxvor -

dustin
January 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
With only two tapes you'll have a difficult time keeping archival backups. The best you can hope for is to have one copy of all of your data on each tape -- you'll have to always do full dumps.

You may want to look into support for backups to S3 for archival purposes, although S3 is not fast enough to handle much more than ~1G/night.

dustin
January 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Ok, that's a bit too conservative. I get about 650M/hr, which means about 4.7G in an 8-hour backup window.

paxvor
January 26th, 2009, 05:51 AM
thanks for the advice.

- Paxvor -