PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install ZIB

amears1
January 14th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I have been trying to install ZIB on a Windows 2003 Server for a few days with no luck. It gets all the way through the installation and at the very end I get an error as follows:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

After going through the forums I verified that cygwin is not installed, but I can't seem to get around this. I also re-downloaded the file in case it was corrupted during the download. The event viewer doesn't show any errors, and neither does the log file. Attached is the log file.

Help!

gokul
January 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hello amears1,

1 . The logfile you have provided does not seem to show any errors and indicates that the Installation was successful. Can you confirm where did you pick this logfile from i.e. the path ? Because you should not have been able to get the logfile in case of a failed Installation of this sort. Did the Installer raise any dialog boxes during Install ?

2 . Secondly, are you using the right Installer ? There are two installers, one for 32-bit and the other for 64-bit. Are you using the appropriate Installer for your machine ?

3 . There is no dependency on cygwin and the Installer should work irrespective of whether cygwin is installed or not.

4 . If you feel, you are using the right Installer and doing the right things, you can provide me with a file which should be of the format MSI*.txt in the folder "%temp%". So what you need to do
1 . Run the Installer again and allow it to fail.
2 . Type "%temp%" in the RUN Box at Start->Run.
3 . Provide me with the latest file of the form "MSI*.txt" ( where * could be any number of letters/alphabets). Just sort the folder on modified time and provided me with the latest file of the above mentioned format.

Let me know if you any questions regarding this.
Gokul.

amears1
January 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
1. That log file was found in "C:\program files\zmanda\zmanda internet backup\debug." I will re-run the install and obtain the other log file.

2. I am using the correct installer (i.e. 32-bit) and I am running Windows 2003 SERver (32-bit).

3. Attached is the correct log file. it shows an error code of 2835.

The installation gets all the way through to the very end and then pops up the error dialog.

Thanks

gokul
January 16th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Hello,

1 . The MSILogfile, that you have sent does not seem to contain the entire log file that Windows generates on Installation. Can you confirm if this is the entire log file or a part of it ?

2 . Also, the errors indicated in the log file (2262 & 2835) are not fatal ones and should not lead to a crash of any sorts.
Error 2262 mentions: This message is typically produced if a table doesn't exist. I checked the Installer for any such issues, and did not seem to find any.

Did you try re-downloading the package anytime before ?

One potential solution to this problem can be this. You can try doing this as I find it difficult to reproduce the issue here :
"This can occur when running from a security restricted folder. In this case, moving the MSI to an other folder with out security restrictions might resolve the problem."

3 . Errors like 2835 are common in verbose installation logs and even an MSDN site seems to second this - "You will frequently see this message when examining verbose logs, ignore these errors as they are never the cause of what you are investigating. "

It seems there might be something more to this. I will try getting back to you on this as soon as I find anything concrete.

Thanks for the co-operation,
Gokul.

amears1
January 16th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Here is what I have done, but still problems.

1) I did re-download the installer.
2) I copied the msi file to the root of C: and made sure that the security on the file was open.
3) I re-ran the install and got the same error message.
4) I attached the new error message and it is the entire message.

Let me know what you find.

gokul
January 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hello,
I cannot see the log file attached as part of your last message on this thread. Can you attach the latest 'full' log file you could get.

Moreover, I hope you are running "Setup.exe" and NOT "ZIBInstaller.msi"

Gokul.

amears1
January 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Attached is the exact log file. I also made sure that I was running the setup.exe, but get the same error.

gokul
January 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hello,

The log file clearly points out a problem in accesing a Scripting filesystem object, which should never happen if things are stable in your system. Therefore, this seems to be due to lack of permissions or due to a corrupt profile. I realize you are logged through username 'stsadmin' to install ZIB. I would suggest doing one of the two to get around this problem .

Option 1 : Login as Administrator and install ZIB.

OR

Option 2 :
a . Create a new user ( any name) and make it a part of the 'Administrators' and 'Backup Operators' group. ( This can be done through Control Panel-> User Accounts -> Create new user )
b . Log on through this user and install ZIB.

We should hopefully be able to get ZIB installed, while diagnosing that it was indeed an issue of a corrupt profile.

Thanks for the co-operation,
Gokul.

amears1
January 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Here is what I did.

1) I logged in as the Administrator. Made sure that the administrator account had the necessary privileges.

2) I copied the entire zib-32bit file to the root of C: just to make sure a file permission wasn't wrong.

3) I re-ran the setup and got the same error. The error says that "A script required for this isntall to complete could not be run." This happens right at the end after the icon had been loaded and everything.

Do you know what script it is talking about?

gokul
January 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
This is talking about a Filesystem Scripting object that the Installer requires to copy a certificate file for ZIB. The Installer automatically copies the certificate file for you during Installation, and a failure to access this FileSystem Object is resulting in the crash. Under no default behavior, should access to this object fail.

gokul
January 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the patience. We seemed to have found the crux of the issue by reproducing the error you are reporting. I request you to acknowledge a few things from your side. We are suspecting an issue with the registry settings for Scripting objects.

For this, let us know if there is a value under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Scripting.File SystemObject\CLSID\Default.

Moreover, we would like you to do the following to repair any errors in the Scripting framework :

1 . Export the registry to a temporary file for safety/recovery issues.
(This can be done Windows Start->Run->regedit->File->Export)
2 . Delete the 'Default' key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Scripting.File SystemObject\CLSID\.
3 . Install the WScript Engine for Windows 2003 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F00CB8C0-32E9-411D-A896-F2CD5EF21EB4&displaylang=en
(This should install a new value for 'Default' under the above mentioned registry key.)

Performing these steps should solve the problem. Let us know if it still persists.

Gokul.

amears1
January 26th, 2009, 04:53 AM
You were correct about the Windows Scripting. I went into the registry and the entire "filesystemobject" folder was missing. I reinstalled the Microsoft Scripting and finally the installation finished and it appears that it installed; however still having an issue.

The issue may have changed slightly, but now that it is installed I verified that the services were running correctly and I tried to open ZIB. It looks like something tries to quickly pop up, but the program does not open. I restarted the services and the server and tried to open ZIB again, but I get the same thing.

I ran the ZIB Support and attached are the files

I think we are almost there, thanks for your help.

paddy
January 26th, 2009, 10:29 AM
You were correct about the Windows Scripting. I went into the registry and the entire "filesystemobject" folder was missing. I reinstalled the Microsoft Scripting and finally the installation finished and it appears that it installed; however still having an issue.

The issue may have changed slightly, but now that it is installed I verified that the services were running correctly and I tried to open ZIB. It looks like something tries to quickly pop up, but the program does not open. I restarted the services and the server and tried to open ZIB again, but I get the same thing.

I ran the ZIB Support and attached are the files

I think we are almost there, thanks for your help.

Good to hear that you have made progress.

Looking at log file, it appears there was an issue with amandabackup user creation.

876:2852:08:30:296:[Installation::CreateZWCService]:The amandabackup password is ^M
876:2852:08:30:296:test^M
876:2852:08:30:531:[Installation::CreateNewUser]:Creation of 'amandabackup' ZWC user failed !!^M
876:2852:08:30:531:[Installation::CreateNewUser]:User Creation Error : 997 : Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.^M
!!^M
876:2852:08:30:531:The password does not meet the password policy requirements. Check the minimum password length, password complexity and password history requirements.^M
876:2852:08:30:531:More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2245.^M
876:2852:08:30:531:Rolling back Installation.^M

You should use better passwords for amandabackup user. From your description of the problem, it appears you may not have Java installed. Depending on your Windows, you will need 32bit or 64bit Java installed to open ZIB UI.

thanks,
Paddy

amears1
January 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Finally I was able to get it installed and working.

I saw that line in the log about the bad password, but I know for a fact that the password was good. I think what happened is during all the failed install attempts it left the amandabackup user account so I manually deleted it and made sure the entire zib folder was deleted and re-installed.

All seems to work well now.

paddy
January 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Finally I was able to get it installed and working.

I saw that line in the log about the bad password, but I know for a fact that the password was good. I think what happened is during all the failed install attempts it left the amandabackup user account so I manually deleted it and made sure the entire zib folder was deleted and re-installed.

All seems to work well now.

Thanks for letting us know. We will try to handle "amandabackup user account" presence gracefully.

Paddy