PDA

View Full Version : Exchange Backup

eagle17
November 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
OK so now that I have the client installed I am having an issue setting up the exchange system backup.

I create a set, choose exchange system backup from the pulldown, set the retention policy and backup times and after it has completed when I look at the log it shows zero data backed up.

otherwise it shows successful.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

paddy
November 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
OK so now that I have the client installed I am having an issue setting up the exchange system backup.

I create a set, choose exchange system backup from the pulldown, set the retention policy and backup times and after it has completed when I look at the log it shows zero data backed up.

otherwise it shows successful.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Do you have vss service started? I'm assuming you are
referring to "backup" not "upload".

Can you please "collect logs" (Tool menu -> "Collect Logs") and attach them here?

thanks,
Paddy

eagle17
November 30th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Looks like the problem is with VSS, it is aborting when trying to make a snapshot.

event ID is 9609.

eagle17
November 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
If I do a system backup of exchange and then upload the backup file it works fine.

so no problems with backing up local files.. just getting exchange...

paddy
November 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Looks like the problem is with VSS, it is aborting when trying to make a snapshot.

event ID is 9609.

Can you please attach logs? You can also increase verbosity of logs.

Are you using 32bit or 64bit exchange?

thanks,
Paddy

paddy
December 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM

event ID is 9609.

Are you running ZIB on Windows 2003 server? If you are using 2003 server, you are
seeing the problem described here. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838864/).

Microsoft has provided a hotfix for this VSS problem on Windows 2003 server.
Please read above knowledgebase article before applying the hotfix.

thanks,
Paddy