PDA

View Full Version : Client database size

peter_spikings
November 28th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Hi again,

Got another issue I'm afraid, thanks for the help though, it's much appreciated.

The MySQL database on two of the most used clients are growing with each backup run. It's the zwcdataobjectset.myd file, on one it's 5.5GB and 2GB on the other.

I've tried restarting the ZWC services in case the table is only pruned of old irrelevant data at startup but that didn't work, not sure what else to try aside from logging on to mysql and cleaning up manually, in which case I'll need to know how to connect with the command line client.

What is it storing by the way? File names and last modification times?

Thanks,

Peter.

gokul
November 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Cleaning up the database manually can cost you backups to be taken as 'full backups' if relevant records are not found in zwcdataobjectset. However, if you still want to connect to the database and delete, you are free to go ahead and do it. The steps to do that are as follows :

Check the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zmanda\ZWC\1.0\Catalog \Database\Mysql\constr. The port under which the ZWC database is running is the value of 'port' in this connection_string.

1 . Traverse to the <ZMANDA_INSTALL_DIR>\MySQL\bin directory on the command line (Start->Run->cmd) .
(where <ZMANDA_INSTALL_DIR> is typically "C:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zmanda Client for Windows\")
2 . Type 'mysql -u amandabackup -p -P <port_value>
(where <port_value> is the value gathered from the connection_string above)
3 . Type password as 'zwcdb'
You should be logged in to the database now.

Also, you have another option to preserve and move the database to a location which might have the required space. Let me know if that is what you would want to do.

peter_spikings
December 3rd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks for that.... I'll have a poke around.

Peter.

peter_spikings
December 17th, 2008, 07:19 AM
OK, finally got round to looking at this. Total size of the DB data files was 8.2GB and had information about dumps all the way back up to the 3rd or November. I deleted everything about backups older than 1st December which deleted about half of the 33 million rows. This didn't affect the database size so I optimised the table, at which point it dropped down to 500MB.

I'm very confused as to why it needs to keep such a long history of the files. The Linux client doesn't have a massive database of file information so why does the Windoze client need any at all?

Also why is there no automatic purging of old information? On a file server with potentially millions of files the database is going to grow and grow fast.

Thanks,

Peter.