PDA

View Full Version : Per/Post Scripts for Backups

sysadmin
November 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hi,

I've recently installed Zmanda Enterprise version into a production system. I'm backing up a SAN that uses embedded snapshot technology. Before I can back anything up I need to set it up, and then clean up afterward. I have read that Amanda doesn't support scripts, (as yet) but a work around can be used by editing the cron file. This I have done, but is is clumsy and prone to error.

To give you an idea of why this is so important, I need to do the following to backup my virtual servers.

Activate the snapshot
Copy each of 35 evms partitions that host virtual servers as a device into a file. (as far as I can tell Amanda won't backup a device, only files)
Then I back those files up.
Deactivate the snapshot.
remove files.

To backup my database and file volumes, I need to do the following.

Activate the snapshot
Use kpartx to setup the mapper
mount file systems for eac evms segment
I then backup the files using Zmanda
Umount the file system
remove kpartx
deactivate the snapshot

It works very well, but as you can see, to do an immediate backup for instance, I have to manually run the scripts before and after. It would be so much better to have pre and post scripts supported.

So this post is to add my weight to the suggestions already that Amanda support pre and post scripts as soon as possible
Regards
Eric. Belcher

paddy
December 1st, 2008, 01:36 PM
So this post is to add my weight to the suggestions already that Amanda support pre and post scripts as soon as possible
Regards
Eric. Belcher

pre and post backup scripts are supported in Amanda enterprise 2.6.4 Please contact support@zmanda.com if you need help.

You can look at the interface here (http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Script_API).

Paddy