PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Enterprise - Recover from GUI to client

James H
October 27th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Can someone point me to precise steps required to configure the ZMC to run recovery from the server TO the client? I can't find this documented. eg: what ssh keys need to be where, what ports need to be open, etc.

If need be, I'm willing to pay an hour or two of consulting time for someone to do this for me once, including a document that I can follow to install this again on my other servers.

Thanks,
James

pyeatman
October 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I'm not clear on this. Does this mean ZMC was not used to acquire the backups in the first place? If it was, you should be ready to restore. If not, it's likely possible but trickier.

Paul

James H
October 27th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Well, I've configured ZMC on my linux server, and the community edition on my linux client. I am able to successfully run backups from the client. I've done enough reading and poking to get that far.

Next step is restore. Essentially, I want to understand how the restore is initiated FROM the ZMC server - what connections are made and how, what permissions are necessary, what ports are required, etc., so I can restore from ZMC to a hand-configured community edition client.

After initiating a restore, I see SSH connections going from server to client, I get a "success" message in ZMC, but nothing has happened. This part of the process doesn't seem to have clear documentation on what connections are established, via what channels, etc. Any guidance or even a link to the proper docs for this would be helpful. I've read a log but can't seem to find this spelled out clearly. :)

Thanks for taking the time to read -
James

paddy
October 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Please open a case using Zmanda Network (http://network.zmanda.com).

Since you are restoring to a hand-configured community client, you will need to use ssh. Which version of community client are you using? 2.6.0p2?

Paddy

James H
October 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Can you outline the steps here? I'm very comfortable doing all of the configuration, just need to understand what is going on behind the scenes on a remote restore, and I can't find this documented. Even if this is just a bullet list of what happens, I'll be glad to take it from there, eg:
- server open ssh connection using private/public keypair (this part I get)
- server does what next on what ports?
- server and client need ports xyz available?

amanda-client-2.5.0p2-4 (CentOS5.2)

thanks,
James

paddy
October 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Can you outline the steps here? I'm very comfortable doing all of the configuration, just need to understand what is going on behind the scenes on a remote restore, and I can't find this documented. Even if this is just a bullet list of what happens, I'll be glad to take it from there, eg:
- server open ssh connection using private/public keypair (this part I get)
- server does what next on what ports?
- server and client need ports xyz available?

amanda-client-2.5.0p2-4 (CentOS5.2)

thanks,
James

I'm assuming that you have installed amanda-client 2.5.0p2 rpms from Zmanda downloads (http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php) page.

What version of Amanda enterprise server are you running?

There is no need to open ports. You just need to set up ssh on the client machine to allow connections from the server as root.

BTW, we have not tested restoration to Amanda community 2.5.0p2 clients.

Paddy