PDA

View Full Version : Windows Client

cmoormann
August 17th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Can someone give me a link or point to a feature overview, to what extented the windows zamanda client (commercial version) can perform backups.

Im especially interesed in the following:

1. Can i perform online Backups/Restores of MS Exchange servers (mailboxes)
2. Can i perform an Online DB backup of Oracle DBs
3. Normal file/system/system state backup/restore
4. Does the client work with the vanilla Amanda Client (this is what we use at the moment)
5. If 1,2,3 or 4 are not working at the moment, are there estimates, when these features will be implemented.

Best Regards
Chris

DJ
August 17th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Hi there,

The new Amanda Enterprise Windows client does not provide support for applications such as Exchange, MS SQL or Oracle yet, but we are working on application API that will provide application support for any supported OS, not just Windows.

Here is a list of Enterprise Windows client advantages over backup via SAMBA:

- Amanda Windows client has much better performance (at least 40%) than backup over SAMBA.
- Windows client can backup extended file attributes which can not be done via SAMBA. It also supports all POSIX compliant Windows ACLs.
- Windows client can encrypt & compress data before sending it to Amanda server which can not be done via SAMBA. To improve security, you can use ssh for communication between Amanda Windows Client and the Amanda server.
- Windows Client uses MS Windows installer so you install it as any other Windows program.

With SAMBA you don't have to install any software on a Windows client you want to protect and it could be an advantage in some situations. That is why you can mix and match Windows client and backup via SAMBA in your environment, e.g. some Windows desktops could be protected via Amanda Windows Client and some others Windows machines could be protected via SAMBA.

To summarize, Amanda Windows client not just provides the same basic file-level backup and recovery functionality as Veritas and Legato for fraction of the cost, but it also provides functionality not available with proprietary software. Since Amanda client doesn't use any proprietary or OS specific formats, Amanda client allows you to recover Windows data on Linux/UNIX and vice versa. It could be very useful when, for example, you want to recover your images, pdf library or text files, e.g. dump of MySQL database, to another operating system.
-------
Dmitri Joukovski

cmoormann
August 17th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Hi Dimitri,
thank you for the comprehensive answer.

I still have one question.

If i buy the Windows Clients (And i guess a server license?), will it work with the vanilla Amanda server (which we have in use right now) or do i have to use a "special" Zamanda Server.

Best Regards
Chris

DJ
August 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hi Chris,

Windows client is supported only with Amanda Enterprise Edition. We are working on a community version of the Windows client and it will be available within the next few weeks.

However, I recommend you to consider Amanda Enterprise for the following reasons:
- You get production level technical support from a development team
- You get usability and security improvements
- If you buy a subscription to Zmanda network, you get management tools such as upcoming web-based GUI that simplifies configuration, monitoring and reporting of backups and restores

Subscription to Zmanda network provides a lot of value for your money. Take a look at Zmanda network overview here http://www.zmanda.com/network_overview.html, and here is the link to pricing http://www.zmanda.com/pricing.html

Regards
--------
Dmitri Joukovski

subodhonnet
August 22nd, 2006, 12:06 AM
is data security (encryption / decryption ) supported by amanda on windows?
Is on the fly encryption / decryption available for all type of disks?

-Subodh

DJ
August 22nd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Yes.
Amanda Enterprise Windows client provides support for encryption as well as compression. I don't understand what you mean by "all type of disk". If Amanda can backup file system on a disk, then it can encrypt data before sending to server.
----------
Dmitri Joukovski

ekohlwey
August 29th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to evaluate SaaS alternatives to VERITAS for a small company (about 20 users).

We presently use VERITAS to backup our files, however we are using an old version that is getting somewhat outdated. No matter how competent any given person on the staff might be, our manager's philosophy on network equipment is that if someone gets hit by a truck, we need to be able to have someone new step in the next day and be able to make things roll, so a GUI is a project requirement.

Although not required, we would also benefit from SQL server and Exchange modules similar to those in Backupexec.

Is there any expected release date for the web management GUI or any more advanced client backup tools?

justroll
August 29th, 2006, 06:21 PM
is there any news about a community windows edition client already ?

Hi Chris,

Windows client is supported only with Amanda Enterprise Edition. We are working on a community version of the Windows client and it will be available within the next few weeks.

However, I recommend you to consider Amanda Enterprise for the following reasons:
- You get production level technical support from a development team
- You get usability and security improvements
- If you buy a subscription to Zmanda network, you get management tools such as upcoming web-based GUI that simplifies configuration, monitoring and reporting of backups and restores

Subscription to Zmanda network provides a lot of value for your money. Take a look at Zmanda network overview here http://www.zmanda.com/network_overview.html, and here is the link to pricing http://www.zmanda.com/pricing.html

Regards
--------
Dmitri Joukovski