PDA

View Full Version : Specific Amanda Capabilities??

wward
October 7th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Im a part of a company that is thinking of deploying amanda as a backup system for our voip servers. There is however one thing that I would like to know before I spend the time learning the system: Is amanda capable of doing a complete partition backup, including OS and all?

My boss would like to find a solution that will make an image similar to ghost images. Is amanda capable of this type of process?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

I looked through the topics and did not find a place for this question.

Andrew Rakowski
October 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Im a part of a company that is thinking of deploying amanda as a backup system for our voip servers. There is however one thing that I would like to know before I spend the time learning the system: Is amanda capable of doing a complete partition backup, including OS and all?

You don't mention anything about the type of system you are trying to back up. For Unix and Unix-like systems, there are both GNU tar based backups and DUMP based backups. Backups that your the dump facility of the OS are going to back up the filesystem in question, and if the OS files are on that filesystem, they would be part of the backup.

I don't use dump-based backups since there isn't a way of excluding files we don't want to waste time/space backing up (AFS cache files, memory "core" files, other things in "scratch" or "temp" directories, etc.) Keep in mind that full system backups on a running system might have problems with open/in-use files or databases. Virtualized or redundant systems might allow you to take a VOIP server offline to do a completely safe point-in-time backup if that's necessary.

Just as a disclaimer, I've set up and have been using the 2.5.x versions of Amanda, and have not yet ventured into the realm of the 2.6 code. I see on the amanda-hackers mailing list of talk about ZFS support, and I expect that other "pluggable" backup methods might be available, but I don't have the time at the moment to pay attention to the details (I think I justify my subscription to that list as "distributed backup" at this point...and an easier place to grep for answers sometime in the future... :-) )

My boss would like to find a solution that will make an image similar to ghost images. Is amanda capable of this type of process?

I'm not aware of anything in Amanda-2.5.x Unix implementations that does that - I'd expect it would need to be something in a future version. However, if you're referring to a Windows system running the VOIP services, maybe there is something there. I've never looked at the Windows Amanda client software.

If we have a catastrophic client system failure, we rebuild a generic system, then restore from Amanda after our cfengine configuration management has prepped the system for use.

Cheers,

-Andrew