I get the following error
mt: /dev/nst0: rmtopen failed: No such file or directory

While i check "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" my HP DAT is not listed in the SCSI devices

Any ideas what happening here?

Thank you,
Christos

pyeatman
October 3rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing from your message that you are running Linux? Apparently the filename, /dev/nst0, you are supplying is not the correct device filename for this device or, for whatever reason, doesn't exist. Is this a new tape device? I would certainly go over your SCSI setup again: everything connected and terminated properly, is the device appearing in the SCSI BIOS before booting, are any required SCSI modules(s) loaded after booting? If all is good, this is a new drive and you are running Linux, there is a chance you may need to create the device filename yourself with MAKEDEV depending on your OS, OS version, and configuration.

Paul

paddy
October 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Paul's suggestions are excellent. I just want to add one more suggestion. If the tape is recognized by SCSI bios and not seen by Linux (as your /proc/scsi/scsi shows), use "dmesg" to view console messages.

Paddy

DaveAtFraud
October 4th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Paul's suggestions are excellent. I just want to add one more suggestion. If the tape is recognized by SCSI bios and not seen by Linux (as your /proc/scsi/scsi shows), use "dmesg" to view console messages.

Paddy
Just so you know what you're looking for, my HP DAT (tape and changer) shows up in dmesg as:

scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 7.0
<Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter>
aic7880: Ultra Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs

Vendor: HP Model: C1557A Rev: U709
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
target0:0:4: Beginning Domain Validation
target0:0:4: FAST-10 SCSI 10.0 MB/s ST (100 ns, offset 15)
target0:0:4: Domain Validation skipping write tests
target0:0:4: Ending Domain Validation
Vendor: HP Model: C1557A Rev: U709
Type: Medium Changer ANSI SCSI revision: 02
target0:0:4: FAST-10 SCSI 10.0 MB/s ST (100 ns, offset 15)

You also should look at the contents of /proc/scsi/<YourSCSIAdapter>/0 to see if the adapter is seeing the device (and, for that matter, if Linux recognizes your SCSI adapter). Are there any other devices on that adapter that Linux sees?

Cheers,
Dave

chrs
October 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Solved, it was a problem with the drivers of SCSI controler that was not installed the appropriate (AIC79XX instead of AIC7XXX)

Thank you for your help.

Christos

Htscreativ.com
June 27th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Paul's suggestions are excellent.