PDA

View Full Version : MS SQL Server Questions

rarchibald
May 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM
1. I've installed the MS SQL Server client for Zmanda 2.6.3, and I noticed that it created a MySQL server and a service called "ZWC-MySQL" on the client. What is the MySQL server used for?

2. I'd also like to know how the MS SQL server is getting backed up - are MS SQL commands being run? Is the MS SQL server brought down to a degraded state while the backups are run?

3. One last question - I've specified a backup cycle of 14 days. Will I get 1 full backup and 13 incremental backups of the MS SQL Server or is it a full backup every day?

ken
May 28th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I'll try to answer all your questions here. If you are an Amanda Enterprise customer/trial user, don't forget that you also have access to support via the Zmanda Network at http://network.zmanda.com.

1. The MySQL server we are running is solely for the Zmanda Windows Client service. It is used to store internal data.

2. The MS SQL DB is backed-up using a Volume Shadow Services (VSS) snapshot copy. MS SQL is "VSS-aware" so when a VSS snapshot is created, the MS SQL DB automatically is write-locked for the duration of the snapshot (sub-second, in most cases.) This all happens automatically when the VSS snapshot is created. Then the ZWC backs-up from the VSS copy and releases it when done, all transparently to the running DB.

3. You won't necessarily get EXACTLY 1 full backup and 13 incremental backups. You will get AT LEAST 1 full backup during the Backup Cycle. Amanda strives for ease of restore, so depending on various factors (media availability, other objects being backed-up, time since last full backup, rate of data change, etc.) it will attempt to promote your backup as much as possible for each run.

Hope this helps!