PDA

View Full Version : HP Storageworks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader

bvsantos
May 27th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Hi all.

I want to install a backup system in my company but i want to search for alternatives to the HP software and i know that Amanda is great!

I have all the hardware i need (the server and the tape library).
My question is if Amanda will work with the HP Storageworks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader.

Anyone knows?

Cheers and thx in advance!

Bruno

dustin
May 27th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Amanda uses the operating systems's tape support, so as long as you have OS support for your drive and changer (for example, 'mt' and 'mtx' work), Amanda can use it.

bvsantos
May 27th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Thank you for the reply.

Just one more question:

I'm king of newbie working with tape autoloader.

The the tape library will be connected to the server through SCSI. I can i know if CentOS has recognized the library ?

I know that may sound a little numb, but i never had worked before with tape libraries in Linux!

Thanks

dustin
May 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Look in 'dmesg', and see if 'mtx' works.

ken
May 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
If, as root, you type:

cat /proc/scsi/scsi
you will see a list of SCSI devices attached on the system.

farislinux
November 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM
[adm@srv ~]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
Vendor: HP Model: Ultrium 3-SCSI Rev: G38W
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 01
Vendor: HP Model: 1x8 autoloader Rev: 1.46
Type: Medium Changer

So the with the above output, can i use amanda with autoloader? i have 3 linux servers to backe up. one server is connected to tape autoloader via Scsi cable (output shows above)

I need to get full backups of the system to the tapes and need to shedual differential backups as well.

Thanks!

paddy
December 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
[adm@srv ~]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
Vendor: HP Model: Ultrium 3-SCSI Rev: G38W
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 01
Vendor: HP Model: 1x8 autoloader Rev: 1.46
Type: Medium Changer

So the with the above output, can i use amanda with autoloader? i have 3 linux servers to backe up. one server is connected to tape autoloader via Scsi cable (output shows above)

I need to get full backups of the system to the tapes and need to shedual differential backups as well.

Thanks!

Yes. You can. HP Storageworks G2 auto loader works with Amanda. You can find an user who has used Amanda with similar tape changer (http://archives.zmanda.com/amanda-archives/viewtopic.php?t=933).

Paddy