PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Not Backing Up Vista Client Using Samba

jroyce
April 20th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I recently installed Amanda on an Ubuntu server with the intention of backing up my user files on a Vista client. The Vista client is sharing the \Users folder as a network share with full control ("co-owner") status granted to the user "amandabackup". I can use smbclient without any problems to connect to this share from the Ubuntu server. I have also checked my "/etc/amandapass" file and verified that all of the settings there are correct.

The problem I am having is that the samba connection is timing out. The daily email from Amanda says:

"| Domain=[WOODBURY] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium 6000]
Server=[Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium 6.0]
? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds listing
\User1\Music\iTunes\*"

This is true of all my directories, so essentially nothing is backed up.

I've tried a similar effort on a test directory on a Windows XP client, and everything works fine there, so I am starting to wonder if it is an issue with Vista, although as I mentioned I can successfully connect to the Vista client with "smbclient".

Any thoughts????

dustin
April 20th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I have had this problem, too. As far as I can tell, it is a bug in smbtar. I think some aspect of the smbtar/windows communication deadlocks, resulting in a timeout. Googling "server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds listing" shows several other examples, unrelated to Amanda, of this error message.

The issue is probably best taken up on the Samba mailing list.

jroyce
April 20th, 2008, 04:55 PM
dustin: Thanks for the suggestion. I will take it up with the Samba folks.

In the meantime...
Have you found a work around? I was considering adding the directory I want to backup to my /etc/fstab listing to mount it permanently and then try to use Amanda to back it up as if it were local to my server. The only problem with this plan is that the restore would be strange since it would not restore to the actual client but to a mounted directory.

Another option is to install the Amanda client on my Windows PC, but this was part of the appeal of Amanda in the first place (no local software installed).

dustin
April 20th, 2008, 06:22 PM
It was a while ago, but IIRC the local mounts avoided the problem. That's what I'd recommend