PDA

View Full Version : Hot copy without system downtime

aacc1313
March 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hi - I have a mixed myisam and innodb system. How do I ensure that there is no downtime for my users when doing a backup.

What do I need to have in place to ensure that I can do a consistent HOT backup of my system?

I use Fedora Core 4 and RHEL 4.

What do I need to check for, to make sure I can do this? The documentation seemed to indicate that this was possible, but did not mention what I needed to have in place to ensure this.

I do not have any db replication currently, but that seems like something that would make sense to implement.

Thanks in advance!

kkg
March 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hi - I have a mixed myisam and innodb system. How do I ensure that there is no downtime for my users when doing a backup.

What do I need to have in place to ensure that I can do a consistent HOT backup of my system?

I use Fedora Core 4 and RHEL 4.

What do I need to check for, to make sure I can do this? The documentation seemed to indicate that this was possible, but did not mention what I needed to have in place to ensure this.

I do not have any db replication currently, but that seems like something that would make sense to implement.

Thanks in advance!

One option is to use replication and backup from the replication slave. The other option is to use lvm snapshots. If you have all of the mysql data on logical volumes, you can use the snapshot capability of ZRM and get the backup done with almost no disruption for your users. This mechanism in ZRM will only lock the databases for a small fraction of time (typically of the order of 1 second).

Please refer to the following link for more details:

http://mysqlbackup.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_of_MySQL_Databases_on_Logical_Volumes

--kkg