Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic question about configuration

Thank you again Eric
    Seems that everything is going well with my backups until now.

Taking advantage of your kindness (), I ask support for another thing: i tried last week to create a filesystem backup set (not in relation to previous) of a certain empty folder. In the "before script" field i put a msdos bat script file that fills this empty folder with some files (around 10 files for 200mb total) and configured the backup set for "full backup - every night - retain 1 week".

I monitored in live the run and the unfortunate situation was this: the before script correctly starts and put the files into the directory; ZCB start the backup correctly when the script ends BUT .... no files included in the backup

What happened? Cannot the filesystem backup sets be used in this way?

Thankyou!

If you've set ZCB to back up a folder, it should get every file within it during a full backup. What you're doing should work, if the script is set up correctly.

I find that most of the time, when scripts are involved, it's the script causing the issue somehow. Please refer to this article for information about how ZCB uses batch scripts: [url]http://help.zmanda.com/x/EwJw[/url]

For example, the snapshot could be taken before the files are written. This is especially true if you're calling another script or a scheduled task (as discussed in the article above). To eliminate that option, you could add a short delay to your script as the last action before it exists, to ensure the other script or scheduled task has time to finish. The /timeout command is good for this, if you're on a recent version of Windows.

timeout /t 60 /nobreak

That would make the script pause for one minute before it exits. You could extend that to any length of time.

I run a script that exports some Hyper-V VMs, and I have it pause for 10 minutes to ensure the export has time to finish before the script exits. Works like a charm.

If none of this helps, please open a support ticket (Help > Contact Support). If you open a case, please provide some screenshots of the files after they're created, a copy of the script you're using, and the ZCB logs (More about logs here: [url]http://help.zmanda.com/x/uAI6[/url] ).

Today I picked up this matter and resolved the problem.

For community knowledge, was a permissions problem: the before and after scripts are executed as "amandabackup" user and that user may not have some administrator permission for execute all the operations.
    In my case the problem was during postgres pg_dump command and i resolved putting a properly pgpass.conf into %APPDATA%\Roaming\postgresql\pgpass.conf (where %APPDATA% is "amandabackup").

A zmanda staff hint: for me i has been difficult test and understand what was the problem. Maybe would not be bad in next ZCB versions to have a button like "test before/after script" or under tool "execute a script as ZBC" that can open a command prompt window for read execution messages ... or something like this!

Quote Originally Posted by officinaweb View Post
    Today I picked up this matter and resolved the problem.

For community knowledge, was a permissions problem: the before and after scripts are executed as "amandabackup" user and that user may not have some administrator permission for execute all the operations.
    In my case the problem was during postgres pg_dump command and i resolved putting a properly pgpass.conf into %APPDATA%\Roaming\postgresql\pgpass.conf (where %APPDATA% is "amandabackup").

A zmanda staff hint: for me i has been difficult test and understand what was the problem. Maybe would not be bad in next ZCB versions to have a button like "test before/after script" or under tool "execute a script as ZBC" that can open a command prompt window for read execution messages ... or something like this!
    Nice to hear you got it to work!

Is this all that I need to know?