Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100% CPU Usage when GUI is open

Default 100% CPU Usage when GUI is open

Hello everyone,

We are having a problem with the latest version of ZCB 4.5 - 36263 (and only this version). It seems after about 5 minutes of the GUI being open the Java process (javaw.exe) that runs the GUI starts using 100% CPU and basically locks the system. If we close the GUI the resources return to normal and the backups run OK in the background. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a problem with Java?

So far we have seen it in 2 different VMWare ESXi environments, both running Server 2008R2.

Thanks!

What version of Java are you using?

Version 7 update 11, build 1.7.0_11-b21

and

Version 7 update 11, build 1.7.0_13-b20

Hi,

Can you please upgrade to latest version of Java 7? Please note that you should be running latest version of ZCB 4.5 to work with Java 7 update 21 or later.

thanks
    Paddy

That has resolved the problem, I will have to remember to update java before installing a new version of ZCB. Thanks so much!

Exclamation

Looks like ZCB 4.5 and JRE 7 v21, consistently causes this issue. 100% cpu and locks up the server. I have now seen this on multiple Windows 2008R2 server 64 bit systems. It is completely reproducible.

This is a serious issue for us. Will have to discontinue using ZCB until I can resolve this on my test server.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthWest View Post
    Looks like ZCB 4.5 and JRE 7 v21, consistently causes this issue. 100% cpu and locks up the server. I have now seen this on multiple Windows 2008R2 server 64 bit systems. It is completely reproducible.

This is a serious issue for us. Will have to discontinue using ZCB until I can resolve this on my test server.
    Could you check to see if you have the absolute latest update of ZCB 4.5? When Java 7, Update 21 came out, it completely broke ZCB. Weird errors, schedules that vanish, locking up the machine...I've seen it all at this point.

We released an updated ZCB 4.5 installer about a week or so after that (April 25th I think).

Edit; whoops, those instructions ask you to open the UI. That won't work for obvious reasons. I'll have another response below in a few minutes.

Since you can't open the UI, I can't just ask you to click on Help > Check for updates, now can I?

Open windows explorer and find your ZCB installation directory and go to the Misc folder.

By default, on a 64-bit machine, that location is C:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zmanda Cloud Backup(x64)\misc

Inside is a file named version.txt. If the Date is earlier than April 24th or 25th, you are not running the latest version. Please visit your account on the zmanda network at [url]http://network.zmanda.com[/url] and download the latest installer from the Downloads page. Run it, and say Yes when it asks if you want to upgrade.

If you ARE running the latest version, can you instead open a support case? Support is available on the Support tab of your account on the zmanda network.

If you open a case I'll give you some more detailed instructions on how to collect log files so we can help diagnose the issue.

Thanks,
    Eric

Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe we first observed this issue around that time... However, since then I have tried with the latest build. Such as today and last night I tired setting it up with the latest JRE and ZCB. But then I had a new test system this morning, and I have not been able to re-create it so far. So until today I was starting to think it was 100% of the systems, but today I got one working, and the other consuming all CPU.

Will log a ticket with support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SouthWest View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe we first observed this issue around that time... However, since then I have tried with the latest build. Such as today and last night I tired setting it up with the latest JRE and ZCB. But then I had a new test system this morning, and I have not been able to re-create it so far. So until today I was starting to think it was 100% of the systems, but today I got one working, and the other consuming all CPU.

Will log a ticket with support.

Thanks
    Sounds good. If you're getting the lock-up issue and you're on latest ZCB and the latest Java, then there's something we need to investigate. I'll keep an eye out for your support ticket.