Thread: Amanda vs. Bacula - Which and Why?

Question Amanda vs. Bacula - Which and Why?

We are currently investigating open source backup solutions for our environment, and after much research have narrowed it down to two possible choices; Amanda and Bacula. My question is geared towards users who have used both Amanda and Bacula, as well as just one or the other. For users who have tried both solutions, what are your thoughts when comparing Bacula and Amanda? Which one did you like better and why? If you were using Bacula and switched to Amanda, why did you do so? If you were using Amanda and switched to Bacula, why did you do so? What do you feel are the advantages of Amanda vs Bacula and vice versa? As far as a feature set, they look like they are pretty similar, but I can tell we are leaning towards bacula since it has a admin gui and web gui, whereas Amanda doesn't unless you purchase Zmanda.

Any thoughts, analysis, reviews or comparisons are appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Adam,

Since this is an Amanda forum, you will likely get a biased view. But there are lot of positives about Amanda that people have discovered and discussed over the years.

Here is a view based on community edition:

[url]http://blogs.umass.edu/choogend/2007/09/27/ten-things-i-like-about-amanda/[/url]

Also, note the comment at the end of above blog. Amanda puts a lot of focus on making sure that your files are always recoverable.

If you like to evaluate the enterprise edition (you can switch back to not using the GUI - and hence defaulting to the community edition), you can drop us a quick note at zsales (at) zmanda.com (please mention this thread).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zbackup View Post
    Adam,

Since this is an Amanda forum, you will likely get a biased view. But there are lot of positives about Amanda that people have discovered and discussed over the years.

Here is a view based on community edition:

[url]http://blogs.umass.edu/choogend/2007/09/27/ten-things-i-like-about-amanda/[/url]

Also, note the comment at the end of above blog. Amanda puts a lot of focus on making sure that your files are always recoverable.

If you like to evaluate the enterprise edition (you can switch back to not using the GUI - and hence defaulting to the community edition), you can drop us a quick note at zsales (at) zmanda.com (please mention this thread).

Thanks

Hi Zbackup, thanks for the reply. I know this is an Amanda forum, and understand that there may be biases towards Amanda. That is fine, and I am ok with that. I just want to get an idea of what people think (biased or not) about the two solutions. I have also asked this same exact question on a Bacula forum so I can compare and contrast notes. The reason why we like Bacula is because the community edition provides us with the guis, whereas we would need to purchase enterprise Zmanda to get a gui utilizing that solution.

Thanks.
    Last edited by abarlam; June 1st, 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Hi arbalam,

I don't have any experience with Bacula and so cannot compare the two. Other than the gui, if you hear of something that is availble with Bacula and wonder how Amanda compares or if something is available with Amanda in general, please state this and I can respond.

Paul