Thread: amdump redo?

Default amdump redo?

What is the best way to "redo" an amdump? I do not want amanda to consider the next amdump as the next run in the cycle. Google turned up a post suggesting "amadmin force-no-bump". The man pages detail what it does...but I am not confident that I understand what it is doing or if I am heading the right direction.

Running the dump the next day will pull a level 1 backup unless you take action like you found on google.

But you bring up an interesting problem. When you install amanda you almost never get everything configured properly the first time, but the only way to know if it's good is to try it and try it and try it, etc. That makes a mess. Once I get a config that works for me I will go into my configuration directory and remove all the dump files and log files and indexes and start fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by jfarschman View Post
    Running the dump the next day will pull a level 1 backup unless you take action like you found on google.
    I ran the "amadmin force-no-bump" and it did a redo of the amdump. I re-read the automated emails from Amanda under "Dump Summary" and it confirmed that the appropriate dump levels ran exactly as the previous day. Thanks for confirming.

Quote Originally Posted by jfarschman View Post
    ...When you install amanda you almost never get everything configured properly the first time...
    That is pretty much what I have done so far (new installation). Everything was configured, but this was a good test to see how to handle "something bad happened to one tape" scenario. I am rotating 20 tapes so I wanted to understand how to fix this issue now instead of when an emergency comes up.

Thanks again for the help.