Thread: Backup and Resore From Commandline

Default Backup and Resore From Commandline

I made one amanda server in fedora11 machine. now i want to backup and restore one windows machine from commandline. can anyone suggest me how to do it.

Vijendra,

It depends if you need a full restore, or just a few files.

Partial restoring is accomplished with the amrecover command. You may choose to expand the files on the Amanda Server’s holding disk…. it’s big enough, or perhaps you’d rather run amrecover command directly from the Amanda client system. Amrecover is a little like a command-line FTP connection where you use 'cd' and 'pwd' commands. However, you navigate through time (sedate command) and across different backups (set disk) command.

This is not the proper procedure for recovery of an entire system. amrecover digs in to the tarballs and pulls out files selectively. If you need the full restore then use amrestore which is faster because it allows the system to bypass the step of finding all of the files in the tarball before expanding them… amrestore assumes they are all there.

There is one other way, if you find that restore and recover aren't working for you. I posted how to do this some time ago on these forums and swrowland refined that method into a much more elegant script.

Hope this helps.

Default full Install

i am so much confused about amanda. I made one linux machine as a server and one windows client machine.
    but i think i am not made well.
    can any one give me an example of full amanda installation as well as how to take full and incremental backup for one windows pc.

This is great documentation:

http://www.zmanda.com/quick-backup-setup.html

I suggest, if you need help, to post any kind of error messages you find on the forum and we can help from there. Very few system administrators will post their working backups for security reasons.