The Amanda core team is pleased to announce the release of Amanda 2.6.0.
Source tarballs are available from
Binaries for many systems are available from
Documentation can be found at
Here's a list of the changes for release 2.6.0 (from the NEWS file):
Look at the ReleaseNotes and ChangeLog file for more details.
* configure --disable-shared doesn't work because perl modules require shared libraries. Use configure --with-static-binaries to build statically linked binaries.
* 'amverify' and 'amverifyrun' are deprecated and replaced with the
* new, more flexible 'amcheckdump'
* 'amdd' and 'ammt' are deprecated.
* Some Amanda files are now installed in new "amanda/" subdirectories: libraries are now installed in $libdir/amanda and internal programs are now installed in $libexecdir/amanda. If you mix 2.6.0 and earlier version with rsh/ssh auth, you need to add an 'amandad_path' to the dumptype and to amanda-client.conf.
* The amandates file, previously at /etc/amandates, is now at $localstatedir/amanda/amandates. You may want to move your existing /etc/amandates when you upgrade Amanda.
* New 'amcryptsimple', 'amgpgcrypt' - encryption plugins based on gpg.
* New amenigma - WWII enigma machine encryption. Super duper secure.
* New 'amserverconfig', 'amaddclient' - Initial Amanda configuration tools these tools make assumptions, please see man page.
* Many bugs fixed and code rewrite/cleanup
o Speedup in 'amrecover find' and starting amrecover.
* glib is required to compile and run amanda.
* Device API: pluggable interface to storage devices, supporting tapes, vtapes, RAIT, and Amazon S3
* New perl modules link directly to Amanda, to support writing Amanda applications in Perl. Perl module are installed by default in the perl installsitelib directory. It can be changed with 'configure --with-amperldir'. * New 'local' security driver supports backups of the amanda server without any network connection or other configuration.
* Almost 200 unit tests are available via 'make installcheck'.
* Amanda configuration file changes
o amanda.conf changes
+ usetimestamps default to yes