PDA

View Full Version : selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for REP

khalil_noura
June 19th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Hi,

I am getting this error message trying to connect to client (selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for REP) client ver. 2.6.1-1

Thanks

dustin
June 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM
See
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Selfcheck_request_failed

khalil_noura
June 19th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I am puzzeled I am backing up 3 other Servers with no problem except 1 that gives me the error message. I checked configurations on .amandahosts and are the same as in other clients.

am I missing somthing else?

Thanks

khalil_noura
July 16th, 2009, 01:38 PM
problem resolved:

- the server I am trying to Backup is an NFS client that mounts windows shares (30). I dismounted the shares run amcheck and it works without any problem. as soon as i mounted the shares Amcheck errors out.

- I think my problem is related to those Windows NFS shares we mount.
- I have to run a dismount before the backup then amount after.

Thanks

FHogenhout
November 29th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I just discovered that I recieved this message for backup-clients with an NFS-mount which were unable to acces this particlar NFS-mount.
The REP-message appeared although the NFS-mount is not specifically included in the disklist for these backup-clients.

After solving the NFS-problem amcheck reported no problems for the backup-clients.

upengan78
July 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I just discovered that I recieved this message for backup-clients with an NFS-mount which were unable to acces this particlar NFS-mount.
The REP-message appeared although the NFS-mount is not specifically included in the disklist for these backup-clients.

After solving the NFS-problem amcheck reported no problems for the backup-clients.

Thanks for creating this thread, I observed same issue in our Backup environment, someone turned off NFS service on a server and the amanda client which had NFS mounted those shares was not able to remount those resulting in NFS timeouts(even the df command took time to complete). ' umount -f NFS mounts ' helped get things back to normal. We didn't need those NFS mounts in future.

phygg
December 9th, 2011, 01:44 PM
So I have to ask, has anyone had success with backing a server that has nfs shares?
Do we know if this problem has been fixed in the latest release?
I can't dismount my shares on my production servers as they are using the shares, I have to find a solution - any ideas?

upengan78
December 9th, 2011, 01:52 PM
So I have to ask, has anyone had success with backing a server that has nfs shares?
Do we know if this problem has been fixed in the latest release?
I can't dismount my shares on my production servers as they are using the shares, I have to find a solution - any ideas?

Hi - AFAIK, having mounted NFS shares on Amanda clients itself doesn't cause any issues. We do that all the time. Problem is if the NFS server exporting those shares stops working(or connection bet. NFS client and NFS server breaks for long time) and NFS client(which also is an Amanda client) can not see the NFS server and keeps waiting for NFS server to be available again. Till the time NFS server is unavailable, NFS client will try to mount those shares(eventually gives up though). During this period of time, df command hangs and may be something else as well and result is it causes all Amanda jobs to hang. If you monitor services on NFS client using Nagios,groundworks, then next time mount hangs you will come to know immediately and can resolve the issue even before amanda job kicks in.

I have 3.1.1 version of Amanda and face this problem sometimes. I am not sure if Amanda has fixed this issue in its recent versions and also not sure if this is fixable at all. There should be workarounds though ;)

jfarschman
January 19th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I get a "timeout waiting for REP" on any system that has too many small files. You could try putting that backup (DLE) into a different dumptype where there are not estimates or server estimates.